Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh you crazy kids


I have been at my job for a few weeks now, and I am starting to get the hang of teaching grade school age children. One of the things my boss had asked me to do was teach the kids some science while having them practice their English. She figured that this would force the kids to learn some new vocabulary. As an added bonus, it brought me back to St. Bernard's style physical science, which was why the kids and I were talking about solids, liquids, and gases.


I had been talking to them about states of matter for a while, only to see many blank stares and some feeble attempts at communication. I was pretty sure that I wasn't getting my point across. I again asked the students, "What are some examples of solids?" when sweet little Wendy yelled, "Poop!" I thought I had misheard her--perhaps it was some sort of accent? Maybe she was sneezing? I asked her, "What, Wendy?", to which she replied, "POOP!" She had a huge smile on her face and there was no mistaking that she knew exactly what she was saying. I could do nothing but laugh, and the other students laughed right alongside. At least I know they finally got it. If only they had made the leap and said that farts were gases...

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jackie,
    You're blogs are so awesome. I love em. Keep em coming.
    Heather Witt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that POOP is as funny in Korea as it is here. I still laugh at the word and I am long out of grade school. BTW some farts are not just gases I know TMI

    ReplyDelete